Make your own pie shells* or use frozen pie shells (I
used a frozen whole wheat organic brand)
11/2 cup or ~ 3/4 pound Boucheron goat cheese (visual
judgment is needed here, leave room for the egg
mixture) some pieces thinly sliced, some
crumbled and some chopped (all three textures)
3 or 4 eggs
1 1/4 cups of milk (I used ~ equal parts skim milk
Chopped fresh basil
- Get Boucheron goat cheese to room temperature (leave it on the counter for a while, it will slice more easily).
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Layer the thinly sliced Boucheron on the pie shell, then sprinkle the crumbled and chopped Boucheron on top of the slices.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and mix in milk mixture, basil, and pepper. Blend well with chopsticks and pour into the shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes in pre-heated 450°F oven.
- Lower temperature to 350°F and bake another 15 minutes or until center is almost firm.
- Let stand for 15 minutes and garnish with some extra basil.
Add ~ 1/2 pound of crumbled smoked salmon, spread it over the empty
bottom of the pie shell. Then place the thinly sliced Boucheron and the
crumbled and chopped Boucheron on top of the salmon, add the egg
mixture etc. NOTE use less Boucheron if you add salmon, leave room
for the egg mixture.
• Chopped fresh rosemary could be used in lieu of the basil as an ingredient
and a garnish
* - Double Pie Crust or Standard Pie Pastry
||Originator: Mary Wescott - Minneapolis, MN